Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!!

In honour of Canada Day, I made butter tarts for the first time. I used the double pie crust recipe out of Bittman's How to Cook Everything, fit rounds into muffin tins, and filled with:
1/2c softened butter
1/2c packed brown sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
pinch of salt
2 eggs
sploosh of vanilla
400 degrees for 18 min, resulted in a soft center but not too runny. Also, no raisins because I don't believe in raisins. Overfilling the shells results in filling leakage which caramelizes (technically a booboo, but +/- depending on how you feel about the addition of chewy caramel to your tart).

The Canadian expats and the American butter tart virgins at work have expressed approval. Hug your local Canadians today.

In other news, I am getting a new stove! My old one won't hold temperature so hopefully a new one will be installed by tomorrow. Hurrahs.



No comments:

Post a Comment